Wednesday, October 12, 2011

3 Changes I've Made During Pregnancy

When I became pregnant eight months ago, I started thinking about my health in greater detail. I started examining everyday habits that I partake in and started questioning how they might affect a small life growing inside me.

I decided to make three small changes that may or may not have a big impact on my baby's health, but would allow me to feel like I am taking the very best care of myself while pregnant.

One, I stopped using microwaves.  My holistic nutrition class couldn't emphasize enough about how microwaves should be avoided. Since this college is in Berkeley and tends to be heavily influenced by the 60's era, I at first had a hard time thinking about changing my eating habits from heating up leftovers from the night before at work to eating cold foods or eating out during the day. However, once I knew that I was pregnant, I remembered how my teacher used to tell us that each molecule of food actually flips over backwards once it is microwaved. My teacher, a former chemist, also described a story of how a nurse was in a hurry to get blood for a blood transfusion heated up, that she put it in the microwave. The patient died. So I stopped using the microwave.

Two, I sleep a lot and if I don't do some kind of workout during the day, I don't sleep well. If I can, I'll sleep about 10-11 hours per night. It's just what my body wants. Also, I figure that once this little girl comes, sleep will be extremely diminished, so I better enjoy it now. Also, if I don't drink enough water during the day, I get a sore throat immediately. So cool how my body gives me signals.

Three, I know that drinking moderate amounts of alcohol and caffeine are said to be fine during pregnancy, but my body is not down. With black tea that has been steeped too long, my heart races. Wine just sounds and feels like a toxin.

Interestingly enough my body went through its own change when it went from very lactose intolerant to semi-lactose intolerant. I used to not be able to eat fat-free cottage cheese or ice cream or sour cream or cheese to being able to eat it. The body finds a way to get what it needs-mainly calcium and iron. My main nutritional changes have been more beef and dairy products. Preferably, grass-fed beef.

These are some of my own experiences during pregnancy.  My best advice to others during pregnancy is to go with your own gut feelings. Your body knows best.

My nutrition consulting practice will be based on weight loss and women's issues in 2012. I will be doing some writing and research on infertility and nutrition in the next month or so. I have already done some research on hypothyroidism and will also be exploring menopause. If you or anyone you know has interest in these topics, shoot me a line and I'll email you info.

Happy Fall!
mindy

No comments: