Monday, March 12, 2012

Hello Pelvic Floor! -- My Body After Pregnancy

Maybe because I've been exercising for so long, when I took a break from it in my last month of being pregnant and two months of recovering from a c-section I finally felt my pelvic floor. What a strange feeling to kick a punching bag and those muscles were like "Wait a minute.  What do you think you're doing, lady?"
That's what they said.
Hello. I never really knew what you did.  Now I know.  And thanks for all the hard work up until now :)


I made them stronger by doing leg circles with my pilates reformer machine in this pic.  That thing really was made for women ;) I never realized how connected the adductors (or inner thigh muscles) are to the pelvic floor muscles.  I highly recommend doing reformer pilates after pregnancy if possible.

Linea Alba
This is the line that separates your rectus abdominus (or abs) during pregnancy to make room for the growth of baby.  The separation is natural and I've heard some women say that sometimes it never fully comes back together again. I believe that this is determined by how you treat your body.  Connective tissue connects and it exists all throughout the body.  Women should do rotational exercises for their abdomen post-pregnancy so that this line comes back together. It makes sense that it might not do it on its own. Perhaps it just needs a little coercive movement ;) Mine is coming back together. It's pretty cool to try to do a sit up and I can feel the space in the middle. Right after I first started working out again I could feel it deeper and even wrap my fingers around the thickness of my abdominal wall. Now I can't do that so I know that its reconnecting. The body is amazingly regenerative if trained and treated properly.

Tight Hips

The hormone relaxin is released during pregnancy in order for the hips to expand to make room for baby. So my hips became a lot more flexible after pregnancy and my left knee also became too flexible. I think this is because my right leg is longer than the left and so the left gets stretched out and has to deal with most of my weight more often. It's so fun to learn about your body! I love getting people to know their bodies more than anything else. So many people don't live in their own bodies in this culture.






No comments: