Friday, March 9, 2012

Losing The Baby Weight

Women gain all kinds of different weight when they are pregnant. Some easily lose it breastfeeding and some don't.

I worked out a good 4-5x a week during my pregnancy so that I gained the minimum amount (about 23 pounds). I also think that my body type was so busy during pregnancy (or who really knows) that I didn't gain much weight. And I was eating ice cream! Stoked because I'm usually lactose intolerant, but during pregnancy my body was down with calcium in whatever form it came in. Love that!

Typically, women gain about 25-35 pounds during their pregnancy, but it's not uncommon to gain 50. To each her own as long as she is being healthy and the doctor says that she is on the right track.

YOGA
The first time I went back to yoga which was about 2 months after the baby was born (since I had a c-section) I was never so happy to not share my body! Sure, I'll share it with another little thing to grow it for 9 months, but I was SO HAPPY to have it all to myself again! I was able to bend forward and stretch my lower back! I was able to do happy baby! Yoga never felt so invigorating and empowering! To not worry about every single physical move I make is pretty cool. Now I just worry about the baby all day long ;)

After about 6 weeks of exercise, I am feeling my pre-baby strength return.  So in order to try to look like a fitness model and get back into my super tight jeans, here is what I'm doing:


  1. Taking my husband's conditioning and muay thai classes at our new studio, Brooklyn Academy Roots 3-4x a week
  2. Taking yoga once a week at Yoga To The People in Berkeley
  3. Doing 20 minutes on our new Octane elliptical 3-4x a week (awesome machine) 
  4. Doing my own strength training workouts about 3-4 days a week and doing Pilates on the Reformer once a week. I consider yoga and pilates to be my off days because they are more breathing and stretching than hardcore strength training and conditioning. 
  5. Logging my food daily on dotfit (now got bought out by sharecare) and am wearing an exerspy (or you could buy a fitbit) to track how many calories I expend everyday so that I know how many calories I can eat in order to achieve my goals of losing about 1 pound per week. Since I am breastfeeding, I assume that the device takes this caloric expenditure into account. I am shooting for anywhere from a 200-500 calorie deficit per day. 
Originally, I had hoped that just breastfeeding would make me lose the 10 pounds, but I wasn't losing weight so I jumped onto this program. And it makes me happy to work out. When I don't work out my body feels stiff and I get depressed. 

So far I've lost about 3 pounds in 2.5 weeks. I have about 6-8 pounds to go since I'm never really sure what the water weight is and what the muscle gain is. It feels so good to accomplish a goal! I am also looking into starting mommy and me conditioning classes at our studio soon!





No comments: